Thursday, May 24, 2007

We almost won it 6 times in Athens

23/05/2007

Athens

The stage was set for an epic battle between 2 teams. My beloved Liverpool, against the Italians in the form of AC Milan.

I had already prepared for this day by taking the morning off from work the next day. I was prepared to get up in the morning to watch this match, planning not to shout too loudly in case I woke my parents like the last CL final.

Alas, how the best laid plans can still go wrong.

At 10 plus, I received an MSN message from a friend asking me to go to Hard Rock Cafe to watch the match with, well other Liverpool fans. It took a bit of persuasion, but at 12.30 am, I found myself outside Hard Rock Cafe, waiting in line with a bunch of other Liverpool fans, all decked in the colors of Liverpool.

When the doors finally opened to admit a red tidal wave, the place was filled to standing room only in an instant. Such was the excitement in place.

I had never been able to sing a rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone, so imagine my delight when a great round was belted out at the start of the match. Everyone raising their fist and singing their hearts out. It was a great atmosphere. Everyone was excited.

The match started and Liverpool were playing well. We were pressing them all over the pitch, forcing them to make errors, but alas, things were not to be as Pipo Inzaghi managed to deflect a free kick in.

We were visibly disappointed during the interval, but were still quietly optimistic. We had come back from 3-0 down. What's 1-0?

Alas, the best laid plans do still fall to pieces.

Try as the Redmen might, but we could not get the luck that we had needed. Lady luck had turned her back after Istanbul 2005.

But we were proud and we stood tall and we showed grace and dignity in defeat. Another rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone was belted out with gusto.

How apt the name of the song. Win or lose, you Redmen will never walk alone.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails