Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The one about gays, comics and studying

Remember Jenny Quantum that I talked about a few posts back?

Well, I've been reading quite a few comics on "The Authority" lately and guess what I found out?

Her foster parents are Apollo and Midnighter.















Apollo: Powers include all powers that Superman has

Midnighter: Powers include all powers that Batman has

They are actually analogues of more famous DC characters and share mostly the same powers. In this case Apollo = Superman and Midnighter = Batman.

And in case it still hasn't hit you yet, they're both guys and gays and married. And open about it.

They're not the first and only gay couple in comics. Others include Vivisector and Phat from X-Statix.

What is interesting is this openess about homosexuals in the US. It's not something that you will see in Singapore where the openly gay couple of Colin and Kero were basically hounded, lambasted and generally insulted. Why the intolerance? When will Singapore be able to accept such behaviour? Why such discrimination.

I'm not gay (or at least I don't think I am) but neither am I a homophobe. I don't believe that being a hetrosexual and being a homophobe are mutually exculsive. Homosexuals are just normal humans who have made a choice in life. A choice that is different from the masses. And what people do not understand they fear and hate.

I just feel that the people who cannot understand them and even worse, use religion as something to pressure them into doing the right thing are just cowards and so unsure of their own sexuality that they try to hit out at whatever that goes against the status quo.

Which leads me somewhat to discrimination. Homophobia is a sort of discrimination. Would anyone consider meritocracy a form of discrimination? After all students are differentiated by their studying skills. Is this not a form of discrimination?

Just some random thoughts and ramblings.

Still hurting and I need more time




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails