Sunday, July 30, 2006

I'm back!

If anyone was wondering about the lack of posts, it was due to my motherboard dying on me.

What happened was that the CPU fan was clogged with dust and would not turn. This caused the fan to short out, which in turn led to the motherboard getting shorted out. I only realised this when my computer kept turning off by itself. Oh well.

But sadly, this has set my back quite a bit (285) and thus my hopes of getting a Nintendo DS lite has to be put on hold till I get my next pay packet.

What was infuriating was the way the repair shop tried to cheat me of my money. They wanted to charge $150 for installing a 80gb (which cost $85, meaning they wanted to charge an additional $65!!). When I asked them why did it cost so much, they said it was because of configuration issues. Er what configuration? The most that was needed would be formatting the harddisk. Probing further got me to "We'll do backup of your data for you just in case anythign happens!"

Well, my data is on my old harddisk. In what way would it be in danger?

They also wanted to charge an additional $30 for configuring my software due to the new motherboard! OMG!

So what happened was that I told them I'll do the config myself. And guess what?

When I got my comp back, Windows was pretty much configured for the new motherboard although the onboard LAN was not turned on. A simple turning it on and resetting my static IP address was enough to get it up and running. They actually configured it for me when they had to test if the new motherboard was working I guess.

And the harddisk was also formatted already. So yah, I think they thought that I had no idea what was happening and tried to leech me of my hard earned cash. Bleh~!

Joke time: (In reference to my title :P)

Arnold, Sylvester and Bruce Willis were asked to act in a movie showcasing classic composers. They were given a choice on which composer they would play.

Bruce thought about it and said, "I've always admired Chopin, so I'll play Chopin!"

Sylvester also thought about it and said, "Hmmm, I like listening to Beethovon, so I guess I want Beethovon."

Now everybody looked at Arnie, wondering who he would choose.

At which Arnie said, "I'll be Bach!"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails