Monday, May 31, 2004

Durians!

The fruit that some people love, while others just cannot stand. I never figured why. It's not family as some people in my family will eat them, while others just run away at the smell of them

It's not the country either. I have a few Chinese National friends who love it, while they too know some who loath it. Maybe scientist can start cracking! ;)

Anyway I had some today and they were good. But it also led me to think back to my army days when I had some close encounters with the durian kind.

Once during my Combat Survival Training (CST), my instructor pointed in a general direction and said there were durian trees there. Made some of us crazy enough to walk in that direction for what seemed like hours to look for some. Well suffice to say, no one found any. I still have a stinking suspicion that they took all that could be found just to spite us.

I also remember having traning in Mandai area and we were lucky enough to stumble upon some durians and they were the best thing we ate(as opposed to combat rations so it doesn't really say much).

My SISPEC training was the worst/best. It was durian season and the instructors brought back one whole rover full of durians so that they could eat, while we trainees had to watch in vain. Sigh. Well I can eat them now, so there.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails